A Full List Of Nigeria Army Chief of Staff Since Independent Till Date has been compiled by GoldenNewsNg.
The Chief of Army Staff (COAS) is the highest ranking military officer of the Nigerian Army.The position is often occupied by the most senior commissioned officer appointed by the President of Nigeria.
The Federation of Nigeria was granted full independence on 1 October 1960 under a constitution that provided for a parliamentary government and a substantial measure of self-government for the country’s three regions
1. Major general Kenneth G. Exham from 1956 to 1959 spend only 2 years in office.
2. Major general Foster from 1959 to 1963 spend only 4 years in office.
3. Major general John Alexander Mackenzie from 1963 to 1963 spend 0 years in office
4. Major general Sir Christopher Welby-Everard from 1963 to 1965 spend 2 years in office.
5. Major general Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi from 1965 to 15th Januar,1966 spend 1 year in office.
6. Lieutenant colonel Yakubu Gowon from January 1966 to July 1966 he spend only 6 months in office.
7. Lieutenant colonel Joseph Akahan from May 1967 to May 1968 he spend only 1 year in office
8. Major general Hassan Katsina RCDS from May 1968 to January 1971 he spend 2 years and 8 months in office.
9. Major general David Ejoor from January 1971 to July 1975 he spend 4 years and 6 months in office.
10. Lieutenant general Theophilus Danjuma from July 1975 to October 1979 he spend 4 years and 3 months in office.
11. Lieutenant general Ipoola Alani Akinrinade CFR he Later becames Chief of Defence Staff, he rules from October 1979 to April 1980 he spend only 6 months in office.
12. Lieutenant general Gibson Jalo CFR FSS,he Later became Chief of Defence Staff, he rules from April 1980 to October 1981, he spend 1 year and 6 months in office
13. Lieutenant general Mohammed Inuwa Wushishi CFR rules from October 1981 October 1983 he spend 2 years in office
14. Major general Ibrahim Babangida he Later became military ruler from January 1984 to August 1985 he spend 1 year and 7 months in office
15. Lieutenant general
Sani Abacha GCON he Later became military ruler from August 1985 to August 1990 he spend 5 years in office
16. Lieutenant general Salihu Ibrahim FSS he rule from August 1990 to September 1993 he spend 3 years and 1 month in office.
17. Aliyu Mohammed Gusau DSS he rule from September 1993 to November 1993 he spend 2 months in office
18. Major general Chris Alli CRG he rule from November 1993 to August 1994 he spend 9 months in office.
19. Major general Alwali Kazir DSS, rules as Chief of Army from August 1994 to March 1996 he spend 1 year and 7 months in office.
20. Lieutenant general
Ishaya Bamaiyi DSS, he rule from March 1996 to May 1999 he spend 3 years andl 2 months in office.
21. Lieutenant general Victor Malu DSS, he rules from May 1999 to April 2001 he spend 1 year and 11 months in office.
22. Lieutenant general Alexander Ogomudia he Later became Chief of Defence Staff he rules from April 2001 to June 2003 he spend 2 years and 2 months in office.
23. Lieutenant general Martin Luther Agwai he Later became Commander of the UNAMID, he rules from June 2003 to June 2006 he spend 3 years in office.
24. Lieutenant general Owoye Andrew Azazi he Later became Chief of Defence Staff, he rule from 1 June 2006 to May 2007, he spend 11 months in office.
25. Lieutenant general Luka Yusuf CFR, he rules from June 2007 to August 2008, he spend 1 year and 3 months in office.
26. Lieutenant general Abdulrahman Bello Dambazau CFR, he rule from August 2008 to September 2010 he spend 2 years and 1 month in office
27. Lieutenant general
Azubuike Ihejirika CFR, he rules from September 2010 to January 2014 he spend 3 years and 4 months in office
28. Lieutenant general
Kenneth Minimah GSS, he rules from January 2014 to July 2015, he spend 1 year and 6 months in office.
29. Lieutenant general Tukur Yusuf Buratai NAM, he rules from July 2015 to 26 January 2021, he spend 5 years and 6 months in office.
30. Lieutenant general Attahiru Ibrahim
he rules from 26 January 2021 to 21 May 2021 he spend only 3 months in office
31. Major General Farouk Yahaya take over from his boss on the 27th May 2021 till date.