With combined efforts of both the air and land forces, the Wawa Military Cantonment in Niger State were saved from a midnight Boko Haram attack.
Sources close to the baracks indicated that the Boko Haram insurgents suffered heavy casualties, although there was no indication that the government forces suffered any.
GoldenNewsNg gathered that the gallant air and land forces of the Nigerian Military reportedly killed eight of the Boko Haram insurgents who attacked the Wawa Cantonment in Niger State.
According to an Air Force source, a Boko Haram Commander and several others were also reportedly captured by the Air Force officers during the attack, while several others were injured.
The military were said to be on the trail of several of the insurgents who escaped with injuries.
According to a situation report by the Nigerian Air Force, “The situation is under control.
“Some were shot, some were caught, some still on the run with bullet wounds..
“The gallant soldiers did their possible best.”
According to an ‘Alert’ from the military, a copy which was made available to Daily Independent on Sunday morning, the attackers were identified as “the Jihadist rebel group of Boko Haram.”
The military message made available to Daily Independent read: “SECURITY ALERT!!!* *Situation Report—Wawa Military Cantonment. Time 0100hours
“According to sources in the Wawa Military Cantonment, the attempted attackers were Jihadists rebel group of the Boko Haram Sect.
“Sources said the insurgent group were in two groups, wanting to use force and other violent ways to gain access to the Military Barracks Cage, but with the brilliance of the Army and Air Force after a tough battle, repelled their attacks attempt (sic).
“The NAF Base New Bussa torcano jets were deployed instantly and it yielded results in a total repel of the insurgent group.
“The general public are strictly advised to adhere to warnings of remaining indoors till further notice and must take note and report new faces and insignificant movements around Bussa—Wawa axis. Be security conscious.
“The military will restore normalcy of peace in due course.”
A resident of the area near the Cantonment told Daily Independent on phone that there was sporadic shooting between the attackers and both land and air forces for over one hour and that no one slept.
The source said the attackers wanted to set free their members who had been detained in the cantonment.
The source said they had been instructed to remain indoors, but that they had been making calls to their friends, relations and neighbours to ascertain their safety.
She commended the soldiers in the cantonment and the Air Force officers for their galant efforts to repel the attack and save the area from the insurgents.
Leave a Reply