Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers Headline
Below Are Top 15 Nigerian Newspapers Headline for Today 19th April 2021
1. Former Anambra State governor, Chukwuemeka Ezeife, on Sunday said support has been coming from the North and South towards the realisation of Igbo presidency in 2023. He spoke at a grand reception organised by Igbo leaders in 19 northern states and FCT for Ohanaeze Ndigbo President General, George Obiozor, in Abuja.
2. The Federal Government, yesterday, promised to provide necessary equipment for the ongoing war against Boko Haram in the northeast. Minister of Defence, Bashir Magashi stated this yesterday when he led service Chiefs on a visit to Maiduguri, theatre of military operation against Boko Haram.
3. Mobile policemen in Niger State, on Sunday, killed six bandits during a gun battle in Garkogo, Shiroro local government area of the State. The officers were stationed at Garkogo town after persistent attacks on the people by the bandits in recent times.
4. The Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF), yesterday, condemned the reaction of the army to the killing of 12 soldiers allegedly by bandits in Koshinsha Local Government Area of Benue State. National Chairman of the forum, Chief Audu Ogbe stated this in a statement, on Sunday.
5. Following the allege printing of 60bn, PDP Governors on Sunday knocked their counterparts from the APC and the authorities of the Central Bank of Nigeria for playing politics with a sincere economic advice given by the Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki.
7. The Federal Government on Sunday, said it is working hard to improve national security and prevent all secession tendencies. Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed spoke in Lagos when he appeared on a radio programme.
8. Tanker explosion in Oshigbudu, Agatu Local Government Area of Benue State, yesterday, claimed the lives of many residents of the community, just as shops and houses were also razed by the inferno.
9. Two suspected drug traffickers have excreted 191 pellets of heroin and cocaine while under observation at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja, Lagos. The spokesperson for the NDLEA, Femi Babafemi, made this known yesterday.
10. Defence Minister Bashir Magashi on Sunday challenged troops to step up the fight against terrorists by becoming more daring and should not be afraid of “the bullet.” He spoke during a morale-boosting visit to the troops in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.
11. FG suspends Pastor Adeboye’s helicopter from flying -See Reasons
The NCAA reportedly imposed the suspension on the chopper over the alleged expiration of some of its papers and spare parts.The publication stated that the agency intends to conduct vital safety checks on the aircraft’s components, especially some spare parts that are due for replacement.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian government has put measures in place to avert reported plans by criminals to attack some airports in the country.
12. Family Planning: Group hails Niger govt for allocating Budget line
The Technical Working Group (TWG) on Child Spacing and the Adolescent Youth Reproductive Health has commended the Niger State Government for the recent allocation of budget line for Family Planning (FP).
The FP TWG in a meeting over the weekend at Gidan Matasa, Minna with the support of the development Research and Project Centre (dRPC) under the Partnership for Advocacy in Child and Family Health At Scale (PACFaH@Scale) project, said that such feat will rid FP unit of the challenges of having her budget lumped with other programmes.
13. World Igbo Congress rejects Ebubeagu, urges support for ESN
The World Igbo Congress has rejected the security outfit codenamed Ebubeagu which was recently set up by governors of the South-East region.
The rejection came from the Chairman, Board of Directors, Prof. Anthony Ejiofor, and the executive members of WIC.
The WIC spokesman, Basil Onwukwe advised governors of the region to support the Eastern Security Network to make it a strong security outfit for the Igbo ethnic group.
14.Buhari hasn’t failed Nigerians, he’s even tolerating rubbish – Masari
The Governor of Katsina State, Aminu Bello Masari, has said contrary to the views in some quarters, the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), has not failed Nigerians.
Masari who spoke in a Television Continental interview monitored in Abuja on Sunday, however said Nigerians should commend Buhari for tolerating “rubbish from some people.”
15. NCDC records 26 new cases of COVID-19
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control has recorded 26 new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of infections in the country to 164,233.
The NCDC disclosed this on its official Twitter handle on Sunday.
The centre said that the new cases were registered in five states and the Federal Capital Territory.
It said Ebonyi recorded 10 cases while Lagos recorded nine cases.
It said the FCT recorded two cases, Kano-two, Osun-two and Oyo-one.
The NCDC disclosed that seven people were treated and discharged from various isolation centres across the country in the last 24 hours.
The NCDC said 154,332 people have so far recovered from COVID-19 and discharged from hospitals since the pandemic was reported in 2020.