Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Monday visited the scene of the Abule Ado explosions and immediately announced a N2 billion Emergency Relief Fund for the victims.
He sympathised with families that lost their loved ones and those injured by the blasts that also destroyed over 50 houses and 2,000 vehicles on Sunday morning.
GoldenNewsNG reports that a register has been opened by the emergency management agencies of the Federal and the Lagos State governments for the victims of the incident.
As of 7:12pm on Monday, over 148 persons had registered at the information desk at the scene.
Sanwo-Olu appealed to corporate organisations and well-meaning Nigerians to assist his administration in ameliorating the pains of the victims. He said he had directed that N250 million be put in the fund as seed money.
The governor also announced that three bank accounts had been opened for the “Abule Ado Emergency Relief Fund.” The banks and the account numbers are Polaris Bank 4030017510, Zenith Bank 10171845716 and GTBank 0586615680.
He said: “I have set up Abule Ado Emergency Relief Fund; it is a N2 billion relief fund and the state government will immediately put in N250 million to that fund and overnight, I have gotten three banks to open account for that fund and that we are trying to achieve.
“This is beyond what the state government can do on its own. This is beyond what a government, nation or state level can undertake on its own,
“I am aware that some of my fellow governors have called, and have also received phone calls from the private sector, so what this fund will do is to give everybody the opportunity to be part of it and to be able to donate into it.
“Of course, the utilisation of this fund, which will also be headed by the deputy governor will also be part of the responsibility the committee will be saddled with. Just to know we are serious and are committed to it. I have three account numbers already: I have the Polaris Bank, with the account number-4030017510 account name is Abule Ado Emergency Relief Fund.”
The governor said that his administration was working with the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation and the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) to make life easier for the victims.
He added: “We are working with NEMA, NNPC and other agencies to make life easier for everyone affected in the tragic incident at Abule Ado, which claimed lives and caused extensive property damage
“I offer my condolences to the families that have lost their loved ones, to the children that lost their teacher and to everyone in this neighbourhood that lost one person or the other.”