ACTED has been committed since 1993, to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED, headquartered in Paris, France is present in four continents and our teams intervene in 37 countries towards 14 million people, responding to emergency situations, supporting rehabilitation projects and accompanying the dynamics of development. Over 5,000 staff are dedicated to implementing and developing our projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Area Coordinator
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Job Type: Contract
Contract Duration: 12 months (renewable)
Security Risk Level: Sensitive (2/4)
Type of Conract: Fixed Term
Starting Date: ASAP
Position context and Key Challenges
- Present in Nigeria since 2017, ACTED teams are supporting displaced and conflict-affected populations in the North-East of the country, around Maiduguri, with a coordination office based in Abuja.
- The NGO provides emergency assistance to the most vulnerable populations through a variety of activities, such as building emergency shelters, distributing non-food items, assisting in the management of camps for displaced persons or providing logistical support as well as information management services to the humanitarian community.
- In response to the protracted conflict in North-East Nigeria, ACTED provided live-saving humanitarian assistance through Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM), shelter and nonfood item provision, critical foodassistance, emergency humanitarian logistics services and information management solutions to support a coordinated emergency response across Northern Nigeria.
- Crucially, ACTED coordinated a consortium programme with five humanitarian partners, thereby providing integrated multi-sectoral assistance to over 180,000 conflict-affected individuals in 2019 alone.
- Moreover, ACTED closely collaborated with government officials, civil society actors and local leaders to build capacity and disaster risk reduction systems, strengthening urban resilience for 60,000 individuals from both internally displaced and host communities in Maiduguri, Borno State. ACTED’s life-saving assistance modalities have benefitted over 350,000 individuals in 2019.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Context analysis: Ensure ACTED has an up-to-date understanding of the area’s socio-economic situation, trends, needs and gaps, and who does what and where (3W).
- Strategy Implementation: Take a lead role in implementing ACTED’s country program strategy in the area identifying strategic opportunities for expanding ACTED’s work in the area, and in particular:
- Identify new opportunities and new sectors of intervention;
- Consolidate and stabilizate programming;
- Review the geographic and thematic footprint;
- Ensure activities are relevant and meeting area/beneficiary needs; e) Identify ACTED added-value;
- Ensure humanitarian principals are adhered to;
- Contribute to identifying new donors, private sector partners, national and international NGOs, think tanks, academia, etc. to work with in the area based on complementarity and added value;.
- Networking, positioning and general representation:
- Participate in donor meetings at area level and communicate relevant information to the Country Director and other relevant staff;
- Establish, maintain and improve active and regular working relationships with other NGOs, UN agencies, clusters, working groups, consortia, etc. at area level ensuring maximum visibility of ACTED
- Establish, maintain, and improve active and regular working relationships with local authorities and where necessary non-state actors and obtain required authorizations and buy-in for ACTED’s activities at area level
- Ensure ACTED is represented in key clusters, working groups, NGO coordination bodies, etc. at area level
- Proposal development a) Lead assessment(s) at area level to ensure proposals are relevant:
- Support the Country Director and Project Development Department in proposal conceptualisation (problem statement, logframe) within the framework of the country, regional and global strategy
- Contribute to budget design ensure budget needs at area level have been taken into consideration.
Management and Internal Coordination:
- Staff Management:
- Ensure that all staff in the area understand and are able to perform their roles and responsibilities related to area operations and link with the capital Head of Departments
- Promote team building, productivity and staff welfare
- Mentor and support the team to build capacities, and improve efficiency and performance, and follow career management
- Manage interpersonal conflicts among staff at area level
- Internal Coordination:
- Facilitate interdepartmental communication and information sharing for a positive working environment
- Ensure implementation of ACTED coordination mechanism at area level (WAM, MAR, FLAT meeting, etc.)
Project Implementation Follow-up:
- Project Implementation Tracking:
- Supervise Project Managers in the area and provide support to project implementation through trouble shooting and eliminating blocking points
- Monitor output achievement, cash burn rates and ensure a time completion of projects through review of PMFs,
- Ensure that relevant project information are up-to-date and available for reporting purposes
- Ensure coordination and complementarity amongst projects within the area of intervention
- Project Quality Control:
- Ensure the application of a practical field based M&E system / plan for each project
- Conduct frequent field visits to project sites to assess activities and ensure efficient use of resources
- Advise Project Managers to adapt projects according to monitoring and evaluation findings
- Ensure beneficiary feedback mechanisms are in place
- Ensure capitalisation of best practices and lessons learnt for projects in the area of operations.
- Partner Management:
- Identify potential local partners in the area based on an assessment of complementarity and added value
- Provide support to partners in project implementation and ensure timely and qualitative implementation of projects by partners in line with ACTED and donor requirements.
- Finance Management:
- Control project budgets at area level to avoid under/over spending
- Ensure accurate budget forecasting and efficient cash flow management
- Ensure timely and accurate area finance TITANIC reporting
- Logistics & IT Management:
- Ensure timely procurement and adherence to rules of origin and nationality at area level
- Ensure quality supply management at area level
- Ensure proper asset management at area level and enforce asset investment policy
- Ensure proper stock management at area level
- Ensure proper IT systems, data back-up and protection from malware at area level
- Ensure sufficient and reliable means of communication at area level
- Ensure timely and accurate area logistics TITANIC reporting
- Administration and HR Management:
- Ensure transparent and timely recruitment of national staff and contribute to international staff recruitment upon capital request
- Proactively adapt the staffing structure to needs and funding
- Ensure regular performance appraisal and career management for staff at area level
- Ensure timely and accurate area HR TITANIC reporting
- Ensure timely exit forms.
- Transparency / Compliance Management:
- Minimize risk of fraud and corruption by ensuring adherence to ACTED FLATS procedures
- Ensure that staff is aware of ACTED’s transparency and whistle blowing policy
- Security Management:
- Analyse the security context at area level and in close collaboration with the Country Security Manager contribute to defining, analysing and evaluating risks
- Engage with relevant key stakeholders at area level to ensure access and support of interventions
- Address security and safety risks by implementing standard operating procedures defined for the area
- Ensure the offices and houses conform to recommended security, health and safety
- Ensure all staff in the area adhere to security procedures
- Ensure security incidents at area level are promptly reported to the capital.
Required Qualifications and Technical Competencies
- University Education in a relevant field such as international development, emergency operations, humanitarian programming, technical degree in camp management, or the like;
- Extensive project management experience in emergency and/or development programmes;
- Base management skills preferred (HR, Finance, Logistics);
- At least four years relevant work experience, preferably including security management;
- Proven capabilities in leadership and team management required;
- Ability to work well under pressure;
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills, and flexibility in cultural and organizational terms;
- Salary between 3100€ and 3500€ monthly (before income tax), depending on the level of education, security level, etc as well as a monthly living allowance of $300
- Accommodation and food provided in ACTED guesthouse
- Pension, health insurance, life insurance and repatriation assistance (& unemployment insurance for EU citizens)
- Flight tickets every 6 months & visa fees covered
- Contribution to the luggage transportation: up to 100 kgs, depending on the length of the contract
- R&R every 3 months, flight tickets covered up to $500 and allowance of $200
- Annual leave of 25 to 43 days per year
- One week pre-departure training in ACTED HQ, including a 3-days in situ security training
- Tax advice (free 30-minute call with a tax consultant)
- Psychological assistance
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and CV to: [email protected] using “AC/NIA” as the subject of the email.
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (PDF)
Note: ACTED will never charge a fee for the recruitment process.
Leave a Reply