JAMB Subject Combination For Petroleum Engineering: A Comprehensive Guide
Are you searching for the ideal JAMB subjects for Petroleum Engineering or looking for academic institutions in Nigeria that offer Petroleum Engineering courses? If so, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we will cover the JAMB UTME Subject Combination for Petroleum Engineering and provide a list of Nigerian universities where you can pursue a degree in this field.
Petroleum engineering is a specialized branch of engineering that focuses on the processes involved in extracting hydrocarbons, such as crude oil and natural gas. The upstream sector of the oil and gas industry includes exploration and production. The primary objective of petroleum engineering and earth science exploration, the two main subsurface disciplines in the oil and gas sector, is to maximize the economic recovery of hydrocarbons from underground reserves.
Petroleum Engineering is a course exclusively available to science students and is offered by the Faculty of Engineering in most Nigerian universities. Before applying for this course at any Nigerian university, it is important to determine if you meet the prerequisites outlined in this article.
Before discussing the four required subjects for the JAMB UTME exam, it is strongly recommended that every aspiring student aiming to study Petroleum Engineering achieve a score of 200 or higher in the JAMB UTME.
The JAMB cut-off score for the Petroleum Engineering program is 180. However, a higher score increases your chances of admission to any Nigerian university offering petroleum engineering. The JAMB subject combination for Petroleum Engineering is as follows:
- English Language
WAEC Subject Combination for Petroleum Engineering:
- English Language
- Further Mathematics
- Civic Education
- A trade subject
- To study petroleum engineering in Nigeria, you must have at least five (5) credit passes in your O’level examination (WAEC, NABTEB, or NECO), including English and Mathematics, obtained in not more than two (2) sittings. However, some schools may require a single sitting.
- You must be at least sixteen (16) years old by the last day of October in the year of admission.
- Pass the Petroleum Engineering proficiency test with the required grade.
- Strong JAMB, WAEC, and, if applicable, post-UTME scores.
- A minimum of five (5) credits in the Senior Secondary Certificate Examinations (SSCE/GCE) obtained in a maximum of two (2) sittings.
- A degree in a related discipline with a First Class or Second Class Upper.
- Direct Entry applicants must purchase the Direct Entry form from the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) and their chosen university.
- An Advanced Level Certificate with at least a Merit Pass in the National Certificate of Education (NCE), National Diploma (ND), or any equivalent Advanced Level Certificate.
- Any additional qualifications equivalent to the above requirements and accepted by the Senate of the chosen university. Candidates must also meet the specific Faculty/Departmental entry requirements in addition to the minimum admission requirements mentioned above.
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Covenant University Ota
- Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun (FUPRE)
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO)
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Igbinedion University Okada
- Madonna University, Okija
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa (OSUSTECH)
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- University of Uyo
Career Opportunities with a Degree in Petroleum Engineering:
- Engineer Trainee
- Manager-Petrol Pump
- Engineering Assistant
- Trainee Engineer-Process
- Finance Executive & Operator
- Design Engineer-Civil/ Structural
- Sr. Application Sales Engineering-Chemicals
- Junior Engineering Assistant-Instrumentation
- Customer Support Manager-Petroleum Segment
- Technical Project Manager-Petroleum & Reservoir
- Sales and Marketing Manager-Petroleum Segment