The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has said the nationwide strike was suspended and not called off to allow the federal government to fulfil its part of the agreement reached with its officials.
Recall that the NLC and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) suspended its planned strike scheduled for Tuesday, October 3, 2023, after meeting officials of the Federal Government at the Presidential Villa in Abuja.
The organised labour had planned to shut down the country owing to the impact of the fuel subsidy removal and the failure of the government to meet its demands.
Speaking in an interview on Arise News on Tuesday, NLC President, Joe Ajaero, said the negotiation between the union and the federal government on wage increases and other demands is at the preliminary stage.
Ajaero said the NLC leadership would meet its members after the 30-day ultimatum to see what has been achieved and the efforts made so far.
He said: “The union is still at the preliminary stage of discussion with the federal government. We urge the government to keep its part of the bargain.
“We will get back to our people after the 30-day ultimatum to see what we have achieved and the efforts made so far.”