Understanding JAMB Scores and Marking Scheme 2023/2024
The JAMB Score is a crucial factor in determining a student’s admission chances into Nigerian universities, polytechnics, and colleges of education. This article explains the scoring system for JAMB exams, with a focus on subjects other than English.
Scoring Method for Subjects Other Than English
For subjects like Mathematics, Commerce, Biology, Economics, Physics, etc., the scoring method is straightforward. Multiply the number of questions answered correctly by 2.5 to calculate the JAMB score.
Example: If a student, John, answered 32 Mathematics questions correctly, his JAMB score for Mathematics would be 80.
Calculating the score: 32 questions answered correctly * 2.5 = 80
This formula applies to all subjects except for English.
Scoring Method for Use of English
Unlike other subjects, Use of English has a unique scoring system. The total number of questions for Use of English is 60, distributed across different sections:
- Section A: Comprehension and Summary (25 questions)
- 1 comprehension passage: 5 questions
- 1 close passage: 10 questions
- 1 reading text: 10 questions
- Section B: Lexis and Structure (25 questions)
- Sentence Interpretation: 5 questions
- Antonyms: 5 questions
- Synonyms: 5 questions
- Basic Grammar: 10 questions
- Section C: Oral Forms (10 questions)
- Vowels: 2 questions
- Consonants: 2 questions
- Rhymes: 2 questions
- Word Stress: 2 questions
- Emphatic Stress: 2 questions
Total Number of Questions: 60
It’s important to note that different questions in Use of English carry different marks. Comprehension passages generally carry more marks than antonyms and synonyms. Therefore, paying close attention to comprehension passages is advisable.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the total score for JAMB 2022? The total score for JAMB is 400. Each subject carries a maximum of 100 marks. For example, if a student registered for four subjects, the maximum score would be 100 * 4 = 400.
- What is the JAMB score for each subject? Each subject in JAMB carries 100 marks. For subjects other than Use of English, each question carries 2.5 marks. Answering all 40 questions correctly in a subject would yield a score of 100.
- Is it true that JAMB is adding 40 marks? No, JAMB no longer adds 40 marks to students’ scores. This practice was only implemented in 2016 due to complications in the marking system during the introduction of Computer-Based Testing (CBT).
- What is the highest score a student can get in JAMB? The highest possible score in JAMB is 400. Achieving this score depends on a student’s effort and determination.
- What is the lowest JAMB score a student can get? The lowest JAMB score a student can get is 0. A student will score zero if they were unable to answer any questions correctly.
- Does JAMB use negative marking? No, JAMB does not employ negative marking. Negative marking is a system where marks are deducted for incorrect answers. JAMB does not utilize this method for grading.
- Can JAMB scores be upgraded? JAMB scores cannot be upgraded or altered once they have been officially released.
To calculate the JAMB score for subjects other than Use of English, multiply the number of questions answered correctly by 2.
Leave a Reply