People who have completed their BSC, HND, OND, or NCE may wish to continue their education. They want to think about Law this time.
This is very much a possibility. Graduates of any other course (usually related) are found to be attempting to cross into the field of law, whether Civil Law, Common Law, or Islamic/Sharia Law.
The premise is that you can obtain the JAMB Direct Entry form and cross to Law with your BSC, HND, ND, or NCE.
The Scope of Law in the Post
- To begin, please be aware that the information in this post was extracted from the official JAMB brochure and that the details are constantly updated.
- When the term “Law” is used, it can refer to any type of law (Common Law, Civil Law, Islamic/Arabic Law, or Sharia Law), depending on what your prospective university calls it.
- Where the word “first degree” is mentioned, it refers to BSC, B.A. or related university-based qualifications.
- To encourage your understanding, the term “UTME requirements” as used in the JAMB brochure has been stated here as SSCE/O’level requirements. “UTME requirements” means subjects required from any of WAEC, NECO, NABTEB, GCE, or NBAIS..
- In addition, for the O’level subjects, Law typically requires five (5) ‘O’ Level credit passes, which must include English Language, Literature in English, and Mathematics. Common and Islamic Law necessitates five (5) O’evel credit passes in Arts or Social Sciences, including English Language and Islamic Studies or Arabic, OR five (5) SSC credit passes in English Language, Literature in English, and any other three (3) Arts/Social Science subjects.
Universities Accepting BSC, HND, ND or NCE for Law
The universities listed below accept degrees, Higher National Diplomas, Ordinary National Diplomas, and the Nigeria Certificate in Education for Law. Please pay close attention to what each university accepts.
UNIBEN requires SSCE requirements plus two (2) ‘A’ Level passes; HND Lower credit and NCE credit passes in two (2) teaching subjects; Degree with at least second class lower division.
2. Ebonyi State University Abakaliki, Ebonyi State
EBSU accepts HND and ND with a minimum of upper credit from relevant programmes. The university also accepts NCE or degree in Arts or Social Science subjects in addition to the O’level requirements.
3. University of Jos, Jos Plateau State
UNIJOS accepts any class of first degree but does not accept NCE, ND and HND.
- HND with credits or distinction aggregates from recognised institutions and at least five (5) ‘O’ Level credit passes which must include English Language, Mathematics, and/ or any other science subject.
- The university also accepts NCE/Degree plus the SSCE/O’level requirements.
EUI accepts NCE/OND/HND, not below credit level.
AAU does not accept any Diploma and NCE but accepts only first-degree second class lower plus the SSCE requirements.
BOWEN accepts a University degree of not less than a second class lower division plus ‘O’level credit passes in English Language and Literature in English,
UNICAL accepts NCE/ND/First Degree (Second Class Lower).
COOU accepts First degree at least second class lower. Does not require Literature in English for degree holders.
10.Crescent University, Abeokuta (CUAB), Ogun State
CUAB accepts a first degree
UI accepts a good first degree with an O’level credit pass in the English Language.
UNILAG accepts First Degree with a minimum of Second Class Upper.
13. Lagos State University, Ojo, Lagos State
LASU requires a first degree minimum of third class plus ‘O’ Level credit passes in five (5) subjects to include English Language and Literature in English.
NDU accepts ‘O’ Level credit passes or equivalents in five (5) subjects to include English Language, Literature in English and Mathematics plus second class honours degree of this University or any other University recognized by Senate.
OAU accepts a first degree with a minimum of 2nd Class Honours plus the O’level requirements.
16. Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye, Ogun State
OOU accepts a degree in Arts or Social Sciences not lower than a second class lower plus the basic O’level requirements.
- Two (2)’A’ Level passes in Arts or Social Science subjects. (ii) NCE/ND/First Degree (Second Class Lower).
- A first degree from a recognized University with a minimum of Second Class Lower, including O’level entry requirements.
18. Rivers State University, Port Harcourt, Rivers State
- RSUST accepts Candidates with First Degrees from a recognized University with a minimum of Second Class Honours (Lower) Division. However, preference shall be given to candidates with Second Class Honours (Upper) Division or higher degrees.
- OND/ND (Upper Credit) relevant to the discipline may be considered. In addition, such candidates must also satisfy the SSCE/O’level entry requirements.
UNIOSUN accepts a University degree from Osun State University, in a relevant programme – of not less than a second class lower division or any other recognised University in a relevant programme.
DELSU requires Degrees in the Humanities is accepted for Law.
21. University of Ilorin, Kwara State
- Diploma in Law (Upper Credit) from recognised institutions. Where a diploma is graded as – Distinction, Credit, Merit and Pass, Credit grade is accepted for direct admission.
- First degree from a recognised University.
- The following qualifications may be considered in lieu of A’level Subjects for Direct Entry Admissions namely HND., A.C.I.S., ACA, A.C.C., LL.B (Inter ) of University of London and NCE