US Diversity Visa Lottery 2024/2025 Application Begins – How To Register
US Diversity Visa Lottery 2024/2025 has started, interested applicants are to take note of the following guidelines and procedures on how to apply for the DV-2025 program.
US Government Opens 2025 Diversity Visa (DV) Lottery Programme
The United States government has officially launched the application process for the 2025 Diversity Visa (DV) Lottery Programme, widely known as the visa lottery. This program offers foreign nationals the opportunity to apply for U.S. permanent residence and potentially obtain a coveted green card. Below, we provide essential details regarding this initiative.
- Application Period: The online registration period for the DV-2025 Program started on Wednesday, October 4, 2023, at 12:00 noon, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) (GMT-4) and will conclude on Tuesday, November 7, 2023, at 12:00 noon, Eastern Standard Time (EST) (GMT-5).
- Free Application: Applying for the Diversity Visa Lottery Programme is entirely free. However, it’s important to note that submitting more than one entry for a person during the registration period will result in the disqualification of all entries for that individual.
Nigeria’s Eligibility Status:
Unfortunately, Nigerians are once again not included in the list of eligible countries for the 2025 Diversity Visa (DV) Lottery Programme. This exclusion is due to specific U.S. Department of State regulations, citing high rates of immigration from Nigeria.
Eligibility for Other African Countries:
While Nigerians are not eligible, nationals from 53 other African countries have the opportunity to apply for the Diversity Visa Lottery Programme.
Restrictions for Other Countries:
The U.S. Department of State has imposed restrictions on several other countries for the DV-2024 program due to high levels of immigration. Natives of the following countries are not eligible to apply because more than 50,000 natives of these countries immigrated to the United States in the previous five years:
- China (including Hong Kong SAR)
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Republic of Korea (South Korea)
- United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories
However, natives of Macau SAR and Taiwan remain eligible.
Alternate Chargeability Options:
For Nigerians and others facing ineligibility due to these restrictions, there are two options to consider, provided certain conditions are met:
- Chargeability to Derivative Spouse’s Birth Country: Applicants can claim chargeability to the country of birth of their derivative spouse, provided that the spouse was born in an eligible country. Both the applicant and their spouse must enter the United States together using their Diversity Visas (DVs). This provision extends to minor dependent children, who can be “charged” to a parent’s country of birth.
- Chargeability to Either Parent’s Birth Country: Individuals can be “charged” to the country of birth of either of their parents, as long as neither parent was born in or was a resident of the applicant’s country of birth at the time of their birth.
Applicants opting for these alternate chargeability options must provide a detailed explanation on the E-DV Entry Form, particularly in question 6, to ensure accurate information is provided. Failing to accurately specify eligibility or chargeability details may result in ineligibility for a Diversity Visa.
How to Apply for US Diversity Visa Lottery 2024/2025
Follow the steps below to apply for the US Diversity Visa Lottery 2024/2025
- Go to the official website via https://dvlottery.state.gov/
- Click on the “Apply Now” Button (Available soon)
- Completed the registration form and submit or necessary documents
- Click submit and wait for selection
While Nigerians may face restrictions in participating in the Diversity Visa Lottery Programme, understanding alternate chargeability options is crucial. Applicants should carefully review the eligibility criteria and provide accurate information during the application process. To apply if qualified, use the provided link.
Please note that the Diversity Visa Lottery Programme is subject to changes in regulations and eligibility criteria, so it’s advisable to regularly check for updates on the official U.S. Department of State website.